Digital Media has been constantly evolving in recent years, and as a result, web design has become one of the most demanding jobs. Larger companies or even the small ones feel the need to have an appealing website to generate views and make it easier for their users or audience to have a good working experience. If you are technically inclined and have a knack for creativity, a career as a Web Designer would be perfect for you!
The following blog is an easy read about having a career in web design, what steps one can follow to be an excellent web designer, and the web designer salary in India in 2022.
What is Web Designing?
We are currently living in a world that caters more to the virtual world. Nowadays, everything is available on the internet. Let’s say you want to learn more about a subject, all you need to do is type in the required words on the internet and you’ll be taken to various websites that can provide you with the required information. The ones who create these websites and design them are the web designers.
User compatibility and interface is important to ensure that there is increased traffic on the respective web page or web application. A web designer must ensure that the design is adaptive to the customer’s needs. They are responsible for ensuring that websites are dynamic, aesthetically pleasing, and interactive. The demand for web designers has increased, and thus, web designer salary has increased as well. Before we learn about the salary trends, let us understand who a web designer is.
Who is a Web Designer?
A Web designer is a programmer who explicitly focuses on the complete canvas of a website – everything we click, see, retrieve or use to input is the work of a web designer. Certainly, one must have the technical knowledge and be creatively sound. They combine both design and technology to present the efficacy of a website’s back-end in a way that is easier to use by the users.
In simpler terms, Web designers are responsible for building or redesigning a website, on average makes $50k+ per annum. They make the functionality easy to use and make it look appealing. The more skills one learns, the more the web designer’s salary in India increases.
What are the responsibilities of a web designer?
The knowledge of a web designer depends on the extent of his knowledge and know-how. Given below are some of the responsibilities that are expected of a web designer to make sure the out is efficient and top-notch-
- Designing, maintaining, and creating easy to use and attractive web pages/websites
- Creating a design layout/user interface by using languages such as HTML/CSS/Java
- Be open to critics and communicate effectively to advocate everyone’s views and have a hassle-free atmosphere.
- Be up to date with the current trends and responsible for the expanding and scaling up of the website.
- Validating routines and test cases to ensure the smooth functioning of the program on all device types and browsers.
- Attending conferences, participating in discussions, and workshops studying and reading about innovations, and refining one’s skill set.
- Look into industry trends and emerging technology to determine the user’s needs.
- Coordinating with the other developers to make sure that the applications are in sync.
All in all, a web designer must have the right skill set, and must be communicative and dedicated to their profession.
Skills Required to become a Web Designer
In this section, we’ll be listing the common web designer skills that are required for you to build a career in the field. Some of the web designer skills are as follows:
- Knowledge of server-side CSS
- In-depth understanding of the core design principles
- Problem-solving skills
- Great written and oral communication skills
- A solid understanding of SEO practices
- Ability to create a responsive and adaptive web design
- Knowledge of graphic design applications such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or Procreate.
Basic Programming Languages and Prerequisites for a Web Designer
Both HTML and CSS are an important web designer skill and a prerequisite to learn web design. HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language and CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. While HTML is useful to add web content, CSS is helpful to personalize this content and design/style the website. These programming languages are helpful in deciding how the website would look. It plays an important role in brining in customers to your website. If a website is poorly designed, the audience would click-off and find a different website that is well-designed and easy to use.
Being proficient in HTML and CSS to create an interactive and engaging front-end application will directly affect a web designers salary and ensure higher pay.
3. Excellent design skills
Excellent design skills are a must if you wish to work as a Web Designer. Basic design skills are crucial to make the website look appealing and attractive to its users. A user-friendly design always performs better. Knowing design properties, UI/UX, scalability, prototypes, etc., is a must.
4. Soft skills
Apart from the web designer skills mentioned above, a few other soft skills to be kept in mind are:
- Curiosity to learn
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thought-process
- Time Management skills
- Creative Vision
What are the few main steps to becoming a web designer?
The role of a graphic designer might seem a little daunting; however, nothing is too hard if coupled with a passion for the subject and the dedication to achieve.
A graphic designer must have the right combination of both hard skills and soft skills.